Do partnerships need two separate IDs?

When you are trying to start a business, there are plenty of steps you can take to ensure its long-term health. For a partnership, you will want to know the rules about partnerships and Tax IDs. To help get your business off the ground, know the rules about separate partnership Tax ID numbers.

What Goes into a Federal Tax ID Application

Obtaining your federal Tax ID number (EIN) does not have to be a difficult process. Often, you will fill out an application and within the same business day you will know if you have been approved or declined. Once your application is approved, you will be able to use the Tax ID number immediately.

The IRS uses the federal Tax ID number to identify your business as a tax-paying entity within the United States. This number can be used to secure capitol and help your business hire employees. You will need this number when you file your taxes each year.

Partnerships Offer an Array of Tax Benefits

A partnership is required to register with the Internal Revenue Service, and state and local agencies. The partnership is also required to apply for a partnership Tax ID, or an EIN. Only one Tax ID is required per business, regardless of how many people are part of the partnership.

The partnerships have pass-through taxation, which means the business does file a separate tax return but does not pay income taxes. The partnership needs the EIN to file an appropriate business tax return. This number is also needed to help provide partners with the information they need on their taxes.

A partnership can be the perfect way for your business to be identified by the IRS. If you are looking to start your business, completing the EIN application can be an excellent way to get things started and keep you competitive.